Located out 290 E (Main Street) across from Gillespie County Law Enforcement Center, Fort Martin Scott was the first U.S. Army outpost built on the Texas Frontier. The historic site contains one original garrison building, which has been restored, one late 1800s old farm shed and three reproduction garrison buildings.
The old military fort was in operation from 1848 to 1853 by the U.S. Army. Texas Rangers used the site as a camp, both before and after military occupation. During the Civil War, the Confederate States Army occupied the fort for a brief period. Later abandoned and then purchased and used by the Braeutigam family as a farm, the property was purchased by the City of Fredericksburg in 1949.
Fort Martin Scott is currently operated as a self guided tour of the historic site. With its history and potential, it is truly on of Fredericksburg's "diamonds in the rough".
Self guided tour with interpretive signage around the fort's quadrangle.
Living history re-enactments four times a year
For more information visit the Official Fort Website at
BE AWARE. THERE IS ANOTHER GROUP REQUESTING MONEY ON BEHALF OF FORT MARTIN SCOTT. THERE IS NO "ASSOCIATION" AUTHORIZED TO COLLECT MONEY ON BEHALF OF THE FORT. THE ONLY LEGITIMATE ORGANIZATION HANDLING THE AFFAIRS OF FORT MARTIN SCOTT IS THE CITY OF FREDERICKSBURG.