- City Manager
Clinton Bailey has been involved in municipal government for over 27 years. Born and raised in west Texas, Clinton began his career working for the City of San Angelo as their City Engineer for 18 years. Clinton, his wife LeeAnn and daughter moved to Fredericksburg in 2013 when he was hired as the City of Fredericksburg’s Director of Public Works and Utilities. Clinton was promoted to Assistant City Manager in 2016 and broadened his oversight to include Parks and Recreation, Lady Bird Johnson Golf Course and the Development Services Department. After nine years of service to the City, on May 1, 2022, the City Council appointed Clinton as the City Manager of Fredericksburg.
Clinton is a licensed professional engineer in the state of Texas and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Civil Engineering with an emphasis on Environmental and Water Resources Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin. Clinton and his wife are both licensed pilots and enjoy hunting, fishing, and spending time at their ranch in West Texas.
The City of Fredericksburg operates as a Council-Manager form of government. The City Manager is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the City Council, of the City, and shall be responsible to the City Council for the administration of all the affairs of the City. They shall be chosen by the City Council solely on the basis of their executive and administrative training, experience, ability, and character. No member of the City Council shall, during the time for which they are elected and for one (1) year thereafter, be appointed City Manager.
Powers and Duties
The powers herein conferred upon the City Manager shall include but shall not be limited to the following:
- To effectively enforce all state laws and City ordinances.
- To appoint and remove any officer or employee of the City and establish compensation for officers and employees except those officers and employees whose appointment or election is otherwise provided for by law or this charter.
- To prepare and submit the annual budget and a five (5) year capital improvement program to the City Council.
- To submit to the City Council monthly a report on the finances and administrative activities of the City and a complete report as of the end of each fiscal year.
- To perform such other duties as may be prescribed by this charter or required of him by the City Council, not inconsistent with the provisions of this charter.
These management responsibilities are shared with an Assistant City Manager.