- Information and Requirements for Candidates
Information and Requirements for Candidates
Mayor and City Council Number, Selection and Term of Office
The legislative and governing body of the City of Fredericksburg shall consist of a Mayor and four (4) Councilmembers. The Mayor and the four (4) Councilmembers are elected from the City-at-large. The terms for the Mayor and four (4) Councilmembers shall be two (2) years each. The Mayor and Councilmembers may be elected to an unlimited number of terms, but to no more than four (4) consecutive terms, in the same office.
For anyone who is considering running for Mayor or City Council or just want to learn more about what is required to run for office, see the Candidate Orientation presentation that was held on January 4, 2022 (presentation).
You Decided to Run for Office - Now What?
- Be a United States citizen. (Texas Election Code)
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age. (Texas Election Code)
- A qualified voter of the State of Texas (Fredericksburg City Charter),
- A resident citizen of the City of Fredericksburg and shall have been such resident citizen of the City of Fredericksburg for a period of not less than twelve months immediately preceding his election (Fredericksburg City Charter),
- Shall not be indebted to the City of Fredericksburg (Fredericksburg City Charter),
- However, that any person with the above qualifications, except as the residence, who shall have been a resident for a period of not less than twelve months immediately preceding his election of any of the territory not formerly within the corporate limits of said city, but which is annexed under the provisions of this charter, shall be eligible for said office (Fredericksburg City Charter).
- Not have been determined by a final judgment of a court to be totally mentally incapacitated, or partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote. (Texas Election Code)
- Not have been finally convicted of a felony from which not pardoned. (Texas Election Code)
You Met the Requirements and Want to Get Started
The City Secretary's Office is responsibility under Title 15 of the Election Code is to accept documents filed by candidates, officeholders, ad political committees. It is also our responsibility to copy and make available all forms and instructions that will be needed to file for office. It is recommended (not required) that anyone considering to run for office stop by the City Secretary's Office and pick up a Candidate Packet (after January 4, 2022).
|Campaign Treasurer Appointment||Form||Instructions|
|Application for a Place on the Ballot||Form|
English and Spanish
|Instructions are part of the form.|